So far, Spotify hasn’t been very useful for discovering new music (I’ll write a post about this, sometime). However, after a few months of trying the service out, it recommended a song that I couldn’t get out of my head–“The Ridge” by Raisinhill. I had to take it home and figure out what the guitar was doing in the intro:
The C♮ in there is really pretty and I like how it seems to melt into the next chord change (C♯ minor). Note to self, I wonder if it makes more sense to be calling it a B♯ here, since the notes in the key would be E F♯ G♯ A B C♯ D♯ and I see it as the raised fifth (B + a half-step). I need a music theory friend.
Stumbled upon a band from Japan called Special Others. Their music can probably be best described as instrumental post-rock, but with the feel of a jazz band. Their song “Ngoro Ngoro” caught my attention–it’s formatted much like a jazz tune where the band plays the head and then trades solos. I thought it would be a good exercise for me to transcribe the guitarist’s solo; here’s what I got so far:
- Ears tell me changes are vi-IV-V-I
- Mainly C# minor pentatonic with lots of passing tones. Looking at it tabbed it, it doesn’t look so complicated. But it sounds great.
- If I were to improvise over this, there’s an opportunity for an E harmonic minor during the V chord. Special Other’s guitarist never tries it.
- It’s cool to see an example where ^ isn’t needed to make an interesting sounding solo.
First 50 of current IMDB Top 100 with “Horse” or some variation replacing a word.
1. The Horse Redemption
2. The Horsefather
3. The Horsefather, Part II
4. The Good, the Bad, and the Horse
5. Horse Fiction
6. Schindler’s Horse
7. 12 Angry Horses
8. One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Horse
9. The Dark Horse
10. Star Wars: Episode V: The Horse Strikes Back
12. Horse Wars
13. The Horse of the Rings: The Return of the King
14. The Seven Horses
16. Horse Window
17. Horse of God
18. Raiders of the Lost Horse
19. Horse Club
20. The Lord of the Rings: The Horse of the Ring
21. Once Upon a Horse in the West
22. The Usual Horses
24. The Horse of the Lambs
25. Horse Boulevard
26. The Horse
28. Dr. Horselove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
29. North By Horsewest
31. It’s A Wonderful Horse
32. The Lord of the Rings: The Horse Towers
33. Citizen Horse
34. Leon, aka The Horse
35. Apocalypse Horse
36. American Horse
37. Horse History X
38. Taxi Horse
39. Horsest Gump
41. Horse of Arabia
44. Horse Basterds
45. Horses of Glory
47. Double Horse
50. Terminator 2: Judgment Horse
I knit slowly. I relearned how to knit after a decade so that I could try a faster method. It’s still slow.
At this rate, I’m knitting about 10 cm / hour. Google tells me a “short scarf” is around 140 cm long.
140 cm÷ (10 cm / 1 hr) = 14 hours.
Let’s estimate the value of my time at California’s minimum wage: $10 / hr.
14 hours × ($10 / hr) = $140 at a minimum
I wanted four colors of 100% wool yarn. Each was ~$10.
$140 + (4 * $10) = $180 at least